Tokyo Game Show, Japan 2013
//Me in a nutshell
Muhammad. Born in Egypt & worked there, traveled a lot to work in different countries & now am working in SE-Asia as a Programmer for PC & Consoles in the game industry (Engine/Graphics,Tools, AI, Gameplay, UI & whatnot). Very passionate about games and like to write codes using any language, SDK, API, Framework or engine..you name it! Like to have new challenges to learn new thing everyday.
I learned a lot of other none-programming related thing on the past years, mostly about 3d assets & animation (uv, rendering, simulation, rigging, houdini, realflow, mudbox, texturing,….etc.), and this helped me a lot in making mini full games from start to end..Which was a dream.
Because All my knowledge is a self taught effort, I’m glad to say I’m not the best (no one is perfect btw) and I’m lacking for knowledge/stuff! I started my career very early and there weren’t resources (not even youtube, amazon books, wifi or even DSL), so trial and error was the only approach for long time in all fields, this been my life before university (Bio-Science Bachelor Degree) and first time to work was junior at 14! So I kinda raised in companies, by adult team mates, not at home by normal parents!
People who have worked with me always used to say 2 things :
– I’m LUCKY person !
– I’ve a huge amount of positive energy, and I do pass it to anyone get around me!
Note: all the work here is personal(This site just about me as me & my free time activities.), for a list of commercial projects I took part in, please contact me;
– Shadow of the colossus (& the remake)
– The Last Guardian
– Metal Slug
– Max Payne I, II &III
– [Again] Max Payne I, II &III
– [And Again] Max Payne I, II &III
– L.A. Noire
– God of War 4
– Crysis Series
– Uncharted (1, 2, 2, 2, 3 & 4)
– Alan Wake Series
– Alone in the Dark 4
– Ryse: Son of Rome
– Machinarium (<3)
– Bioshock Series
– Mario Kart (Mostly 8)
– Batman Arkham (Asylum, City, Origins & Knight)
– DF (Dark Future)
– GTA I, II, III, IV &V
– Prince of Persia, the sands of time
– FarCry 3
– Watch Dogs 1
– Super Mario Odyssey
– Super Mario 3D World [any Mario or Luigi game, even if it is not an official version !]
– Donkey Kong [Any!, but Tropical Freeze is my most loved one]
– Mafia I & II
– COD I, II, III, IV & Ghosts.
– Castle Of Illusion
– Neighbours from Hell 1 & 2
– Jack & Daxter
– Max and magic Marker I & II(curse of brotherhood)
– Last Day of June
– Valiant Hearts The Great War
– Rayman Legends & Fiesta Run
– Crash Bandicoot & CTR (PS1)
– Crush (PSP)
– Winning Eleven (PS1) & Fifa 2001
– Can’t be a list without the original DOOM
And of course lots of other games, but the list above are the ones was the most remarkable games for me that i will still be able to remember when Alzheimer hits me. I really enjoyed every frame and pixel within those games!
//MyFavoriteConsoles(based on value, beloved games, memories!)
– PC <3
– Sega Genesis
– PS 4
– WWWWWWW IIIIIIIIIIIII UUUUUUUUU (WIIU for short)
– XBox One
– DS, 3DS, 3DSXL & the new XL
– Shigeru Miyamoto
– Fumito Ueda
There are others, but this two are the best of the package for me! other names would be “Massimo Guarini, Michel Ancel, American McGee, Cevat Yerli, John Romero”.
//My Thoughts in game development:
– Games are not only for fun, it should help the players with something. And a good game should change something inside the player.
– Anyone can make AI think. but few people can make an AI feel and breath !
– A good programmer is like a MONKEY, keeps jumping between branches all the day.
– A good game is a mix of good experience, gameplay & design. Not good Artists and good programmers.
– The game story is a mechanic. For a good game, all mechanics should be good, if story is bad, it affects the game, but good gameplay could still make it worth playing (adopted from a friend).
– Visual programming is a new great way to make game logic. but not for programmers !
– Don’t make a virtual controllers in a mobile touch screen, the best input to fit that devices is the taps/swipes & gyroscopes. If you want on screen buttons, then go and play console or pc with a controller.
– Both are useless for a team; a stupid artist , and a blind programmer!
– You must watch Extra Credits videos everyday!
– While people call a GDD “Game Design Document“, I’m tending more to call it “Good Design Document“.
– A Programmer is the person who write the art applications. So we (as programmers) must understand art correctly and learn how to make it!
– My definition of the “dumb” programmer: Who is the one thinks he can get his game/app 100% secure from reverse engineering. Please spend some time in the product itself, because…People who invest lots of time trying to make the game secure, either have nothing to make them busy or the have no expertise and they want to prove that they have some of it!
– The best way to teach a new programmer or to get a new member into the project, is just by submitting bugs to him/her to fix.
– IOS/Android games are fine, but I enjoy more playing/developing for PC & Consoles where a developer can put more & player can get more.
I’ll leave you with few of the recommendations that I’ve got along my career, those are not the only ones, but those are my favorite & the unexpected ones that warmed my heart when i did receive them!!!
Each of them came to my head with a special situation in my life
which affected me and my thoughts
*”You can get my passport, but you will not be able to make any use of it without me!”
*”Playing a game is great, but making one is AWESOME”
*”Four things been told and promised to be the same, but they never are. The job description, the interview, the test and the actual job itself!”
*”When flood comes and kill lots of people. don’t cheer up if you survive because you will die with the next flood”
*”Never trust a boss, unless he was your friend before being a boss”
*”Lose the king, but try to never lose the Minister”
*”Although you are so tired, you will never sleep while thinking !”
*”Looking more back, give you more chance to fall forward”
*”Never disrespect anyone’s job, whatever it looks trivial for you. the most small gear in the world can stop the biggest ship from moving, or may submerge thousands of innocent souls”
*”Life is simple, but fools want/make it complex”
*”The most common mistake for humans, is that they keep expecting things from each other !”
in no specific order!
While I’m not very familiar or friendly in interviews or showing up in public, but there are quite a few times that I did dare to accept it, there are some of them
– The Mummy (Brendan Fraser ones only)
– Indiana Jones (all of them)
– Jurassic Park (1st one)
– John Wick (all)
– Insidious (all)